Leek, Bacon and Potato soup
A warming, healthy soup of leek, bacon and potato topped with chive creme fraiche and crispy bacon.
250g Lower salt bacon
1 medium onion diced
400g trimmed leeks diced and well washed
3 medium potatoes peeled and diced
1 vegetable stock cube
2 tablespoons low fat crÃ¨me fraiche
2 teaspoon dried chives
- Cut 2 rashers of bacon into thin strips and cook in a sauce pan on a medium heat until crispy, remove and set to one side.
- Mix the creme fraiche with the dried chives and set to one side.
- Dice the rest of the bacon and put into the pan with the onion and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes, add the leeks and potato and cook for a further 5 minutes stirring well.
- Add the stock cube and top up with 1.4litres of boiling water and season with black pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Blend with a stick blender or blend in a food processer until smooth and check seasoning.
- Serve into large soup bowls, spoon a dollop of chive creme fraiche into the middle of the soup and sprinkle with the crispy bacon strips.
- Serve with crusty bread.